Welcome!

Welcome! Liberty Women's Resources is a blog that aims to provide up to date and relevant information to women. It is targeted to women who are either currently homeless or have experienced homelessness in greater New Haven. To this end, events and services are New Haven-based.

Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 17, 2012

U.S. Positive Women's Network Founder and Upcoming Speaker!

We are excited about an upcoming speaker to our program. Her name is Patricia Kelly and she has been a leader in the charge to live a positive life.  You can find out more about by following this link to an article about her that appeared on the website, The Body - The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource:

http://www.thebody.com/content/art59902.html#

To give you a little taste, here's a short introduction to an extraordinary woman!


Through My Eyes: Patricia Kelly


In 1985 I was incarcerated at the Women's Correctional Institution in Columbia, South Carolina, for writing bad checks. There I learned that I was infected with the AIDS virus. I had been heavily addicted to drugs and had used anonymous sex to feed my habit.
Back then, very little was known about HIV/AIDS. I'll never forget that the prison doctor wore a mask, gloves and a gown; from the other side of the room he told me that I had AIDS and was going to die. He warned me not to tell anyone because they would be afraid of me. I didn't comprehend what he was telling me. Yet I kept thinking that I was marked and damaged, I would never get married, I would never have sex again and I was going to die soon.
The prison staff whispered behind my back and acted as if they didn't want to come near me. I received minimal medical care. I was reluctant to take any medication because I knew very little about HIV. I did, however, receive some brief counseling and literature. For years I kept my diagnosis a secret---only the prison medical staff knew my status.
After I was released in 1989, I eventually made my way to Connecticut, where I ended up incarcerated at a women's facility near New London. Surprisingly, the care in Connecticut was better than in South Carolina. They had an infectious-disease doctor and a nurse that worked only with HIV-positive inmates, counseling, examining and dispensing meds. I periodically attended support groups there, an activity I continued throughout the mid- to late 1990s both in and out of various prisons. In support group I learned that HIV was not the automatic death sentence it was once thought to be; that I was not alone; and that help, counseling and treatment were available.
In 1998 I discovered that my T-cell count had dropped below 200. I started my first drug regimen. I cannot remember all of the meds that I have been given over the years. Some I tried only for a week or so--I had adverse reactions, including diarrhea, stomach problems and headaches. The doctors frequently had to adjust the dosages or take me off those drugs completely. But I always refused to take AZT. My brother had been on AZT and experienced terrible side effects--vomiting, night sweats and so on. He died of AIDS in 1990, right before his 41st birthday. I think his death, at least in part, increased my strength to continue living.
Eventually I started to really believe that there was a chance I was going to survive. Many new treatments were becoming available, and people were starting to live longer. I started receiving regular counseling. Before, I was waiting to die; now I was determined to live, despite having had the virus for nearly 20 years.
I married in 2000 and then moved back to South Carolina. I have three supportive children and six grandchildren, with the seventh expected in April. I am grateful to still be here to enjoy my family. I'm taking meds--Intelence, Viread and Ziagen--and doing great. I have never had illnesses due to HIV/AIDS; my T-cell count is 367, and my viral load is undetectable. I am educating people about HIV/AIDS and letting them know that they can live a healthy, productive life. A few ex-inmates and I are creating a curriculum to share life experiences with HIV-positive inmates. I am a founding member of the U.S. Positive Women's Network, a national support group of HIV-positive women working to change federal AIDS policy. I also travel and lecture. I am positive and victorious.
As told to Glenn Townes, an award-winning journalist based in New Jersey, who writes for Essence, Black Enterprise, Upscale and POZ magazines, among others.

No comments:

Post a Comment